Wednesday 18 June 2008

Truley perfect Parm

I was so excited to try my mom's recipe for homemade eggplant parmisian. I went to the Pam and picked up two fresh eggplants and barilla's tomato sauce (which my roomate managed to kick up a knotch with some peppers, onions and garlick sauteed in olive oil.) I sliced the eggplant as thinly as possible and coated each side of the disks with olive oil and fried them just until they were transperant and a little browned in the pan. We filled the foil baking sheet with a base layer of our perfected tomato sauce and layed the fried eggplant slices on top in three overlapping layers. I then added some more sauce to cover the top a little and then the fresh mozzarella cheese. After using our Macs to figure out what 450 degrees farinhight translated to celtcious, we were in business. After baking for about fifteen minutes with the aluminum foil on and then ten without, our browned, all-vegetarian meal came fresh out of the oven. We even added some rose wine to the boxed spagettii we made on the seggestion of Chef Fulvio De Santa-it really did the job of cleaning up the flavors by not letting the oils leave a greesy feel in our mouths. We were definately following in the tradition of slow food since all our ingrediants (except the boxed spagettii and jar tomato sauce) were freshly bought from the market and prepared from scratch that day. If I were to cook back in Fitchburg, I'd sadly be reaching for the box of Kraft Macaronni and cheese before I spent an hour of my day cooking. It was agreed that yes this culinary expirience did top Mex-italiano night.

No comments: