Wednesday 18 June 2008

Bruschetta and Focaccia


Sometimes when I'm eating these delicious breads, I wonder if they weren't invented just to soak up all that delicious olive oil. You can get these pizza-like breads toped with pizza-like toppings at almost any restaurant in Verona, but I decided to try the Coppa Cafe's selection of Bruscetta. I went with the percutto, mushroom and (of course) mozzarella cheese version. It's so refressing to see ingrediants used in a very balanced way in the foods here: the bread was not too thick and it's actually more of a toast all the way through, so it doesn't feel too heavy in your stomache, you feel full, but not ever like you ate too much. I've noticed that not only with these bread based dishes, but with every traditional italian meal I've been served here. The faccacio i had was topped with fresh slices of what i think were grape or cherry tomatoes and fresh oragano and olive oil (of course, of course.) I found it in this little place at one end of the Via Roma and couldn't resist taking pictures of all the delicious kinds of bread, meat and cheese meals they had in their store front display. I wonder if the U.S. will ever forget their thick-crust-craze and follow in the better choice of fresher, healthier, tastier ingredients? Yeah, right.

No comments: