Wednesday 18 June 2008

Kebab Bliss


Ever since our first day here in Verona, I've heard raving news about a local fast food favorite that hails from India. This tasty meal is reminicent of a very oversized Big Mac, except with lamb and a different kind of special sauce. However, if you're expecting fries on the side, you're in for a shock...take a bite, wait for it: IT'S FRIES ON THE INSIDE! Actually if you watched them make your kebab, you do get to choose what they put inside, so as you stand in front of the server, he stands in front of his counter and slices open an oven-fresh disk of steamy white bread, while I watch the largest peice of revolving meat I've ever seen spin behind him. I said totto, which means you want your kebab fully loaded: as he stacked the spicy orange cream sauce, shaved the roased lamb meat, added lettuce, tomato, and sweet purple onion, he finished it off with a savory layer of mayo and I figured I'd give it a go before adding any tobasco sauce. I was really surprized that i liked the lamb meat, since it's something I don't remember likeing when I've had it before, maybe it was the way it was slow-roasted that made the difference, it was more juicy than greacy and smelled great. As hard as I tryed, I couldn't finish it all, by the last couple inches of this over-stuffed sandwitch, there was just a puddle of the spicy orange cream sauce and chunks of meat that were a bit too much for me, so I had to throw it away-but it's definately something i recommend if you're an American missing good old Mc-e-D's comfort food.

No comments: